Monday, August 24, 2009

Somebody's Crying by Maureen McCarthy


A murder in a country town is the backdrop for the story of three young people, Alice, Tom and Jonty, who are bound together because Alice's mother was murdered and Jonty is the suspect.


I really expected to enjoy Somebody's Crying because I loved McCarthy's Queen Kat, Carmel and St Jude get a life. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed. I found the storyline a little slow, and the main character of Tom somewhat bland. I felt that McCarthy's depiction of Tom was not authentic - he simply didn't resemble any 22 year old guy that I have ever known.
I did enjoy the character of Alice - McCarthy is extremely good at writing female characters. The storyline was far more entertaining when being presented from Alice's point of view.
The mystery component of the story does keep you reading and the twist at the end is surprising, but by the end of the book I felt neutral - not particularly affected by this book.

No comments: